On the 29 March2014, Queen Margrethe II attended the official opening of the House of Music in Aalborg. Designed by the Viennese design firm Coop Himmelb(l)au, winner of the 2003 competition it is a cultural and educational centre of around 20,257 m₂, and part of a much larger 2008 master plan by the same firm with the aim of completing the site dedicated to culture which overlooks the fjord. Music, creativity and art are the ideas behind the creation of a concept based on “synergy and sharing”.
An open system that creates synergies between the public, artists, students and educators while recognising the need for independence with spaces overlooking the Cultural Plaza and the fjord with a vertical foyer connecting the various performance spaces. The rigid external “U” shape of the building which houses the educational functions of the Music Academy, contrasts with the sinuous and sculptured 1300 seat Concert Hall which is a completely separate and independent structure.
Targetti, under the guidance of the design firm Coop Himmelb(l)au, supplied the entire lighting system from the foyer, the Academy stairs right up to the Concert Hall. Functional as well as spectacular lighting yet always in symbiosis with the architecture where the light fixtures, mostly LED sources are hidden or integrated into the architectural structure, to contribute to the scenographic effect of space with light alone. At other times the fixtures are clearly visible and contribute to the “theatrical” effect of the space with their design.